HELP metadata-gmc

  I've just upgraded my gnomebox, with the last rpm packages.
  Everything seem to start up very well, I've only two problems.

   I made the symlink on my /home/ ... /.gnome-desktop, to the executable
prog (ex. gnumeric), and it startup regular, it's ok, but  I can not assign
a particular icon to the symlink on the desktop.
   I give my particular icon at every symlink, but when I push OK, the
symlink does not take (or better keeps) the icon I've just choosen.
   After, when I logout from gnome, I can see on the console the following
messages:
--------------------------
** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
/root/.gnome-desktop/RHsupport

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
/root/.gnome-desktop/RHldp

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
/root/.gnome-desktop/gnumeric 0.32

GnomeUI-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file NULL

** CRITICAL **: file glayout.c: line 532 (create_new_menu_from): assertion
'shell != NULL' falied
rm: cannot remove '/root/.gnome//gmc-zCIR9G' : No such file or directory

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 616 (gtk_style_unref): assertion
'style->ref_count > 0' falied

waiting for X sever to shut down
----------------------

which is (are) the problem (s)  ???

  Besides (2nd question) I can not resize gmc, and the cause seems the very
big buttons on the top (besides they are not very essential ;)  ), now gmc
does not stay on my laptop screen, and if I try to resize it I'm not able
to resize over a certain meausure (I can not make it little).
  How can I solve also this problem (s)   .... which is the cause

    bye :)

miki:)
Michele Mariottini
R&M Studio - Bibbiena (AR) Italia