Re: Basics not in the FAQ

GNOME is a desktop enviroment/application standard/initiative. (Meaning
GNOME is an attempt to produce a desktop enviroment that supports drag
and drop and cut and past and has a consistant look and feel).

Enlightenment is a wm/desktop enviroment. (Meaning E is mostly a wm but
is adding support for file  management, and such...)

X is a set of protocols and a display server. It is the predominant
windowing system for UNIX.

-cheers,
Will