Gnome Icon Status Report #7 -- The Weird Nature of Numbers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of September 19th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot is going on in the kitchen, but most of the new icons don't yet
dare to come out and party with the others. The artists are working on
many promising pixmaps, as you can see from the remarks below

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GGV and the Games directory have finally been given icons. GGV's may
still be improved in the future, but it's so pretty that I decided to
add it now already. The Desk Guide / Pager pixmaps have had
transparency added.

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Development (candidate might be in the making)
- Administration (candidate might be in the making)
- Settings (got lost in the last report?)

Games:
- gTuring (candidate available)

Internet:
- gftp (candidate in the making)

System:
- Shut Down or Reboot (candidate in the making)

Settings Submenus:
- Multimedia (candidate in the making)
(10) - User Interface Options

Settings:
- Startup Programs (got lost?)
- Gnome Edit Properties
- Shut Down or Reboot (candidate in the making)

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
- MDI

Utilities:
- Text File Viewer (gless)
- Gnome Penguin
- guiTAR
- System monitor using "foot question mark" icon
(20) - GDict (candidate in the making)

Administration:
- GULP

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:

Main context menu:
- Swallowed Application

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements
- Monitors

Amusements:
- Sixty Four Bits
- Odometer

Clocks:
- Clock
- AfterStep Clock
- Clock and Mailcheck
(30) - JBC Binary Clock
- Another Clock

Monitors:
- SwapLoad
- NetLoad (candidate in the making)

Network:
- Mailcheck
- WebControl
- Clock and Mailcheck

Utility:
- Mini Commander
- GDict (candidate in the making)
- Tick-a-Stat
(40) - Task List
- Where am I?
- GNotes!
- QuickLaunch
- Process management (gproc)
- Clipboard

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- Go and Gwp using same icon
- Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu using same icon

SUBOPTIMAL ICONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glines: could use transparency
Electric Eyes: could use transparency (we're working on it)
HAL 2001: both the icon and the actual panel pixmap are not shaped and
          thus there's an ugly black square around them
Imlib Properties: Yet Another Blank Page Icon
Screem: is a logo

Feel free to comment.

TOTAL
~~~~~

You see that, due to its completely nonrepresentative nature (my
machine is the only sample), things in the report can change in the
most interesting ways. Obviously, I've been a bit to cheerful deleting
entries in the last reports, so some are back; then, in the process of
the complete update of my /opt/gnome tree, programs have disappeared
only to appear again.

So we need about 49 icons, but be warned: as soon as we've got all of
these, I'm going to install lots of Gnome software on my machine so
there'll again be many empty entries. :)

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

To the HTML guy: I see that it's some work. But I don't want to do it
either, since I'd have got to do it while dialed up. So just put this
stuff in <pre></pre> tags, and I'll be happy.

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM if you want to make icons.

If you've got any nice, big logos for Gnome applications, please
submit them; they'll be needed for Phase 2.

Please, please, please: If you want to make icons, make icons that are
mentioned in the report or in GITHNYBM as needed. Don't send me
another dozen of ZIP drive icons or of Adobe PDF icons. Thanks.

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
Manchmal fühle ich mich im Usenet wie eine Kreuzung aus Don Giovanni
und dem Zauberlehrling; während es um mich herum unkontrollierbar