remote emacs grabbing focus in gnome/wmaker

I have an annoying problem, Well, I have lots of them, but this one
concerns gnome/emacs/wmaker.  I am running emacs on a remote machine (RH
5.2, emacs emacs-20.3-3) and I notice that when I move my mouse through
that emacs window and then out the other side emacs gets/loses/gets
focus again.  I have to move my mouse outside another window
(rxvt,netscape ..) and back into it again to have the focus broken from
emacs and onto what ever window I want it.  Needless to say, my emacs
buffers look a lot like then
void foo(float x) { ls
	int i;

and that does not compile all that well:>
Has anyone else seen this???  It is only this combination, It works fine
with local emacs and remote other commands.
Thanks
Matt