cvs glib compile error

I am running Debian 2.1 on a PIII-400 (kernel = 2.2.11).  I have been
using an older version of the gnome CVS modules, and now I am trying to
upgrade.  Actually, rather than upgrade I wanted to reinstall in a new
directory (/opt/gnome).  When I try to configure glib (with ./autogen.sh
--prefix=/opt/gnome), I get the following error:

checking for thread implementation... posix
checking for pthread_join... no
checking for pthread_join in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_join in -lpthreads... no
checking for pthread_join in -lc_r... no
checking for pthread_join in -lthread... no
checking for pthread_join in -ldce... no
configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread
implementation
                posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
                provide information on your thread implementation.
                You can also run 'configure --disable-threads'
                to compile without thread support.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and/or what to do about it?  I
would follow the instructions and configure without threads, but I don't
know what effect that would have on other things.

Thanks.
--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate