Gnome Icon Status Report #6 -- "All Quiet on the Icon Front"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of September 12th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It has been a rather quiet week on the front, but I've had quite a lot
of people send me new icons. Stefan Kamphausen, who did the pager
pixmaps, is working on an extremely nice "Multimedia" icon... I can't
wait to see the results, as the intermediate drafts already look
pretty great. After some talk with the writer of the "Brave GNU World"
column, he's told me about their idea, that is, "open-source", er,
"Free graphics", which basically means that people should ship the
XCF source of their graphics with them. I'm a bit skeptic about it,
but if you want to talk to him, he's <kamphausen@novelscience.com>.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've written some code for the panel to get the new icon inside.

Applet desktop entries changed and committed:
Desk Guide and Gnome Pager applets use gnome-deskguide.png as their
icon and gnome-deskguide-splash.png as their about widget logo.

Foot menu desktop entries changed and committed:
A nice Icon for the Peripherals directory in the capplet tree has been
added.

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Development
- Games (candidate available)
- Administration

Games:
- gTuring

Graphics:
- ggv

Internet:
- Gnome Mailman
- gftp

System:
- Shut Down or Reboot

Settings Submenus:
(10) - Multimedia (candidate in the making)
- User Interface Options

Settings:
- Gnome Edit Properties
- Shut Down or Reboot

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
- MDI

Utilities:
- Text File Viewer (gless)
- Gnome Penguin
- guiTAR
- System monitor using "foot question mark" icon
(20) - GDict

Administration:
- GULP

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements
- Monitors

Clocks:
- Clock
- AfterStep Clock
- Clock and Mailcheck
- JBC Binary Clock
- Another Clock

Monitors:
- SwapLoad
(30) - NetLoad

Multimedia:
- Sound Monitor

Network:
- Mailcheck
- WebControl
- Clock and Mailcheck

Utility:
- Mini Commander
- GDict
- Tick-a-Stat
- Task List
- Where am I?
(40) - GNotes!
- QuickLaunch
- Process management (gproc)
- Clipboard

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- Go and Gwp using same icon
- Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu using same icon

[Entry about GnomENIUS removed because that's going to be merged with
Dr Geo, and we're going to see whether they'll come up with an icon
when the new package is released]

SUBOPTIMAL ICONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glines: could use transparency
Electric Eyes: could use transparency
Imlib Properties: Yet Another Blank Page Icon
Screem: is a logo

Feel free to comment.

TOTAL
~~~~~

About 47 icons more to go. I'm sure we'll make it for the 1.0.50
release.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM if you want to make icons.

If you've got any nice, big logos for Gnome applications, please
submit them; they'll be needed for Phase 2.

Please, please, please: If you want to make icons, make icons that are
mentioned in the report or in GITHNYBM as needed. Don't send me
another dozen of ZIP drive icons or of Adobe PDF icons. Thanks.

Gnome could use a "move" stock pixmap. What do you think?

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
friends close enough not to hear distance in the silence.
                                                   -- Bill Bill Gibson