Re: panel sessions

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:28:04 Remo Strotkamp wrote:
> Matt Greenfield wrote:
>
> > Hi, my panel has just died.. Again..
> > I'm not sure how I killed it today.. Something to do with an applet I think,
> > but no, I can't reproduce it..  What I would like to know, is how do I
> > rescue my panel session?  I'm am getting sick of re-adding all the applets I
> > use and getting it to look how I like.  So.. how - oh how - can I save my
> > panel session so that I can just drop it back in place after a panel crash?
> >
> > Perhaps some system of automatically keeping a backup of the current panel
> > session would be handy..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Matt
>
> Hi,
>
> the config files for the panel are in the directory
> ~/.gnome/panel.d/.
>
> There are subdirectories with names Sesion-xxxxxxx
> In those you can find all the configs!
> Normally when the panel dies the corresponding
> directory is not destroyed, so you can restart the panel
> with
>
> panel --sm-config-prefix=/panel.d/Session-xxxxx/
>
> the problem is that if that happens normally you will get a
> warning that an already running panel is detected ( the one
> that died) and that the new one will not be restarted.
> This is very annoying, because then it will not be added
> to your session settings when you restart gnome the next time.
>
> But then again you can use the above command to start it once
> again, this time there should be no warning like that!
>
> Does anybody know how to tell to remove the dead panel from
> the running gnome-session, so that one does not get that
> warning in the first place??????? Would be very handy!

The problem seems to be that the panel sets the GNOME_PANEL property
on the root window of the X display. This is what causes the "panel
already running" error. Under normal circumstances the panel should
remove this property when it terminates, but if it crashes it is left
there. So you need to do "xprop -root -remove GNOME_PANEL" before you
try to start up a new one.