Re: extra gnome panel

One other thing to check -- you haven't been starting panel explicitely
from your X startup file (typically ~/.Xclients, ~/.xsession or
~/.xinitrc)?  Gnome-session will take care of starting the panel for you.

If this is not the problem, then I don't know what is.  If you can find
where the second panel instance is being started from, you will have found
what the problem is.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au