Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

> 	I went trhough and did all the setups by hand. Then I found Gnome would
> 	misplace the panel. Without it you can't even log out cleanly.

Hmm..odd, thats the first time I've seen this on a list.

> 	I appealed to this list and it was sugested that I install Redhat;s
> 	update rpm's for all the Gnome related stuff.

I would even by-pass this and get the new updated gurulabs RPMS.
Personally, if you can compile gnome that would be best in my honest
opinion.  People seem to have varied experiences when using rpms.

> 	The I atempeted to mass produce an envrionment for these suers. I never
> 	did get this quite right, so finally I have up, created new user ID;s
> 	for these folks, and satrted over tonite to create the environments one
> 	by one by hand. Well at this point i have created 3, and 2 of these
> 	users have lost the panel again!

Ahh, you're the person who wanted to have a mass produced environment.
Ugh, by hand?  Couldn't you have used a script and duplicated the ones
that are exactly the same?

> 	Needless to say I am frustrated.

I can well imagine!

> 	The only clue I have is that both of the users who have lost the panel
> 	have a core in there home directories, it's from the cdplayer aplet.

Is that what "strings core" says?

> 	Is this a clue, Can I posible recover these users without having to
> 	start over for the 3rd time!

Hmm..it's possible that everyone is competing for the cd player.  My
question to you is whether your gnome binaries and libraries are NFS
mounted and that the users are using their own machine?  There could be
some conflict to get the device if they are all running a desktop off of
the same machine (ie via xdm or something). Does the /var/messages file
say anything related to /dev/cdrom?

> 	And finally, is this stuff just not stbale enough for production use?
> 	Should I look at altenatives?

It would be better if you would continue to send bug reports?  Use the
gnome-bug program to report it.  Stability comes from thorough testing and
the more testing thats done and bugs captured the more stable GNOME will
become.

> 	Please can anyone provide some help here, I am pulling my hair out!

I would really suggest you try making them run the cdplayer-applet
straight through gdb and see if they can get it to crash.  Send the stack
trace to the list and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what the
problem.

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-356-1078    \|/