Re: What is the cleanest way to shutdown in a gnome-session?

Norman Stevens wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out what the cleanest way is to shutdown my machine
> > from an account that is using gnome-session.  Last night I shut down my
> > machine by su'ing as root and then running gshutdown.  There were a few
> > problems:
> >
> Would it be sensible to have an option to shutdown
> from the gdm login screen? Presumably this could
> be implemented now by adding a new script to the
> gdm/Sessions directory. However making the choice
> a little more obvious (by having a check box or
> something) would be more appropriate.
>
> Norman

I think that would be great--it needs a shutdown/reboot button--maybe one
that calls gshutdown?  Of course, that won't help me because gdm does some
Very Bad Things to my system.  When I first replaced xdm with gdm in my
inittab and rebooted, gdm went into an infinite loop of flashing something on
my screen.  I had to kill it with the reset button.  This happened when I
tried to start it from a text login as root, too.  I think it has something
to do with display permissions, because right now when I su to the gdm
account and try to start gdmgreeter it segfaults, but it starts just fine as
root.
So on those lines, does anyone have a step-by-step for getting gdm to work on
a pre-RH 6.0 machine (I have 5.1)?

Dan