October Gnome bustage in Suse?

I was quite happily running the Gnome binaries from my Suse installation
disks, however I wanted to checkout the "new panel" and some other nice
things
I heard where changed/added.  Unfortunatly, after installing the rpm's
and making a symbolic link from libdb.so.2 to libdb.so.3 (maybe i should
try
to upgrade to fix this problem?)  Gnome-session ran and the panel
launched,
etc.

However, my panel using settings from my old ~/.gnome produced
transparent
menus. I moved my .gnome to .gnome-bak and started gnome-session. This
time
it was no longer transparent, wierd. in both configuration gnomecc
(control-
panel) was unable to launch the capplets.  and panel applets don't work.
It
seems that none of my apps are communicating.. is Corba broken ?

Anyone know how to make this work ? :)

: btw.. I installed from the Suse rpm's which I downloaded from
ftp.gnome.org
: with the command 'sudo rpm -U --force --nodeps ~/rpm/gnome/*.rpm'
: as you can see I forced it with nodependances, so it is possible I am
: missing libaries...

--
Eric Windisch