Re: Integrate VMware and Gnome - continued

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> [...]
> > Regis> The whole purpose of prompting him automatically would be "hey
> > Regis> man, VMware has been installed on this system by your sysadmin,
> > Regis> do care? (yes/no) do you want to have Vmware icons on your
> > Regis> desktop (yes/no) do you want to have startup menu entry for
> > Regis> vmware (yes/no)"
> >
> > This doesn't scale well.  Suppose that one weekend the sysadmin
> > installs 15 new packages.  Then on Monday I log in and get to spend an
> > hour wading through dialogs before I can read my email.
>
> a "remind me later" option would be nice

Am I this ignorant or is exactly this what the message of the day was
designed for? You know:

--- SNIP ---
1999-10-16: Installed bunch of new programs, check your Gnome Foot and K
menus for them (namely: VMware, Gnomovision, new version of foobar...)
--- SNAP ---

<plug>
It is not as if this were only shown if you login at console / via
telnet/ssh: http://rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de/gtkmotd/. If I find the time,
I'll add features like (a) MOTD only shown after changes (b) automake/conf
stuff (c) UTMP entries.
</plug>

Yes I know of xlogin, but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore (it's
been done for X11R5 and when I compile it, it just coredumps).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils@wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils@fht-esslingen.de / nils@redhat.de