Problem running GNOME panel

Hi there,

I hope this is the proper list to send this question to. If not, my
apologies.

When I try to run the GNOME panel program, I'm getting lotses of errors,
mostly related to not being able to open png-files. Here are a few lines
of the kind of erros I get:

chaser:~$ panel
/convert: No such file or directory
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-normal-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
/convert: No such file or directory
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-normal-down.png
All fallbacks failed.

the /convert isn't a real problem at the moment. I haven't looked in
conf.files and Makefile(s) if there's a wrong path.

Along with above errors, I repeatedly am getting this one:

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-stock.c: line 1247
(gnome_stock_pixmap_widget_at_size): assertion `im != NULL' failed.

I'm not that an experienced programmer and (thus) haven't been able to
find out what causes this problem and how to fix it.

I hope there's somebody who can help me with this, or can direct me to
somebody and/or a mailinglist who could give me possible solutions.

Thanks in advance,

--
Gerard Beekmans
TTS Solutions