Re: LUG Report was - Re: Congratulations!

> > Anyone in the know care to comment on this or send me email
> > directly?  I really like GNOME and would like to report back to the
> > LUG with an intelligent and informed reply.
>
> I've talked (well emailed) people who've reported bugs about gnome
> becoming sluggish after a while.  They switched from using E and
> things started behaving nicely.

I think I know what you mean here.  It might be Enlightenment.  However,
I've noticed that on a 64M machine that as soon as you start using swap
(this goes when you start using netscape & E combo) the Gnome panel starts
getting slow.  Pixmap loading is slower, the animation on the drawer
becomes very slow.  Even if you quit netscape and get back most of hte
memory to the point that you are no longer using swap, the gnome problem
still can't seem to become fast anymore.  Quitting E doesn't help either.
You have to completely get out of X and hten back in again in order to
make panel behave.

> Lots of people now use sawmill, but window maker, fvwm2 etc. are nice
> too.

I'll be trying this to see if my mileage vary.  But i will miss the
great themes that enlightenment has. (especially blue steel) and the
cool sliding pagers...

> (Ok, people, please don't say "E is fast for me";  we've all been
> down this road)

It's fast for me! :-)

> Another slowdown is when pixmap themes are used.  Something light like
> ThinIce is what I like to use.

Agreed.

	sri