why the error messages?

For reasons unrelated to GNOME, I had to reinstall RedHat 6.0. Up to that time, everthing worked just fine.  However, after the re-install, which was the same as the initial install, I now have problems with GNOME.   Spefically, after issuing startx, I get two panels with the following error messages:
"You are not running a GNOME compliant window manager.Please run a GNOME compliant window manager. For example, Enlightenment (DR-0.15). Then run this applet again"
The next panel says:
"Default set of icons not found.please check your installation"

 It appears from /tmp/install.log that all the required gnome files are loaded.

Can anyone please help with this problem? Thanks,
Dick Fell