Re: Window Manager

Ali Abdin <ALIABDIN@aucegypt.edu> writes:

> I'm in the same position kind of - I decided I wanna try to work with
> sawmill - supposedly its lightweight, I'm also gonna download a few
> themes for it to play with - and those are /TINY/ size (40K themes as
> opposed to Enlightenment's multi-MB themes). Also, I like the idea of
> extensibility through LISP :) WindowMaker is cool, although not as light
> as sawmill, and not as heavy as enlightenment (I don't like in-betweens)
> - They're all good - in fact if you want you can just install all of them
> and choose what you want, when you want it from the control-panel :)

For what its worth, I installed Sawmill with a simple theme a few
weeks ago to see how it was.  I compared the memory it occupied with
WindowMaker (no dock, no clip, with complicated theme, no open
windows).  Surprisingly WindowMaker took slightly less memory on my
system.  With the dock and clip it took about 0.5 meg more than
Sawmill.  I would say both are lightweight, especially when compared
with Enlightenment which was (successfully) designed for looks.

I liked Sawmill.  As someone who uses emacs for almost everything (and
therefore lisp), I also like the idea of lisp extensibility.  But I
went back to WindowMaker for now.

Tom
-----
Quote of the day for Thursday, 14 October, 1999:

"Don't feel sorry for yourself if you have taken the wrong road -
turn around!"

  - Edgar Cayce