Re: LUG Report was - Re: Congratulations!

George Farris wrote:

> I was at the Victoria User Group (VLUG) last night and the overall
> feeling about Redhat 6.1 was that it deposited almost 1 meg of junk
> on your hard drive and that GNOME was slow.
>
> Now the RH install can be customized by I've heard this complaint
> before about GNOME being slow.  I kind of thought being written in
> C it would be quite fast.
>
> Anyone in the know care to comment on this or send me email
> directly?  I really like GNOME and would like to report back to the
> LUG with an intelligent and informed reply.
>
> Cheers

Gnome Slow?
What are you comparing it to fvwm, maybe some other light weight window
manager with out any features but the ability to draw a window box on
the screen.
The version of gnome with sawmill I have been using seems to be quit
snappy on a celeron 366 w/64mg ram if anything I have tried was any
faster I would have to use some kind of timing tool to tell.

The extras that gnome is providing me far out weights any speed I would
gain from the loss of features using something else. If super light
weight and supreme speed is what they need go back to the command line
and learn all the ......

Dennis