Re: Groupware program - a server to ?

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:22:38PM +0200, Daniel Persson wrote:
> When customers buy a program like Microsoft Exchange etc there are some
> primary things they want.(And this is something that they ALL want)
>
> - Shared adresslists - This is probobly the most important
> - Shared calendars   - They want to be able to know what person b and person
> a are
> - Shared contacts	   - They want have a contact database with all
> sorts of different contactinfo

This would be great

> - Shared folders 	   - Like the Microsoft Exchange folders, to store
> documents etc

This one I think is a samba/nfs issue.

> Their biggest demand is mostly about beeing able to SHARE the information in
> the groupware system.
>
> Also, one thing they more and more want is that the travelling people
> (salesmen etc) want to be able to surf in and get all this info trough a
> webinterface.

Evolution will only be a backend, so to code a web frontend for it won't be
that difficult.

> So basically my question is, will the new gnome-mailer system make any of
> this possible ?

make posible, definitely

> Would a Microsoft Exhange/HP Openmail kinda soulution be a too big task ?

I think you should use existing mail servers for the mail bit. But for
sharing stuff I believe a server would have to be coded, unless one can use
LDAP. I've heard it mentioned in this context before but I haven't worked
with it before.

> I belive that a nice written GPLD groupware system will take the world by
> storm - it's also my belive the wonderful Gnomehackers are the right men for
> the job :)

agreed

> BTW Am i waaaay off in this post ???

not at all

Regards
--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....