Problems building from CVS when installing to /usr/gnome.

I believe I have all the appropriate flags set.
the audiofile libraries are being built and installed
in /usr/gnome/lib.  But when I attempt to build
esound, configure does not find the audiofile
libraries.

I am giving trying to build esound with the following flags:

 ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/gnome --libdir=/usr/gnome/lib
--bindir=/usr/gnome/bin
 --datadir=/usr/gnome/share --exec-prefix=/usr/gnome/bin

What am I doing wrong?

	Miles