Re: Browsers, of the web variety

----- Original Message -----
From: Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com>
To: <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 1999 3:04 PM
Subject: Browsers, of the web variety

> There is a scene in Black Adder III where the Duke of Wellington is
berating the
> state of the English nobility. "We have the finest armies, the finest
navies,
> the finest industries...and what do we have for royalty? A mad Kraut
> sausage-sucker."
>
> Lest you think I mangled my aliases and this supposed to go to
Blackadder-l or
> possibly german-bashing-l, let me explain what brought that on. I have
just
> watched Netscape disappear from my screen sans explanation for, oh, the
seventh
> time this morning. And I've only been online for half an hour. There are,
in the
> X world, word processors, mailers, newsreaders (Granted, Pan just
> died on me too, but it's admittedly alpha sw, which NS *isn't*.
(Admittedly,
> that is.)), art programs, etc...why no web browsers? Is there anything
stable
> that exists between lynx and Netscape? (Why don't the Opera people port to
> Linux?) What do all y'all longtime gnomies use?
>
> Or shall we all, Godot like, wait for Mozilla? (I saw the /. link to M10.
> Reading the 'not yet implemented' list convinced me to wait a bit.)

[this is not intended as flame bait :-)]

I tried KDE for a few days (to avoid ignorance and to see what the other
side is doing) and while I didn't like the interface much at all (gnome
seemed much easier to use) the one thing that KDE has and does well is KFM.
It's quite a decent, stable light(er)weight graphich web browser.

That said, there's also gnome help which _can_ view web pages (not too well)
and also gzilla which is still in its infancy.

No great answers to your question, unfortunately, but some :-)

What I'd like to see (and I think may be in the works) is mozilla's html
rendering inside a nice lightweight GTK UI.

--Ben