Re: ScreenSaver doesn't work

* Petersen, Brandon (brandon@hastings.edu) wrote:
>     I've been trying to get the screen saver to turn on, by going to the
> Gnome Control Panel.  Right now, I have the Control Panel set to 'Random
> Screensaver' which starts after 5 minutes of inactivity.  The screensaver
> never comes on, instead the default 'blank screen' comes on after 15 or 20
> minutes.
>
>     I've also been wanting to lock the screen, by going to the menu on the
> Gnome panel that gives me that option.  But when I choose that option,
> nothing happens.
>
>     Is there something that I can do to fix this?
>
> 							Brandon P.

Do you have xscreensaver installed? Try
$ xscreensaver-command --version

The blank screen should be disabled for you, but you can disable it in
your .xinitrc by adding the line:

xset s noblank  # turn off the screen saver

You could even try running xscreensaver from here:

xscreensaver -timeout 5 -cycle 2 -no-splash &

But it should be run using gnomecc. Do you get any messages on the
console about xscreensaver?

Run
$ startx >log_of_x 2>&1
To start x, and see if any messages from xscreensaver appear in the
file...

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |