Re: [Fwd: Sound broke on my system after 1.0.40]

John Ellis wrote:

> Sound monitor 0.7.0 has a bug that shows up when used with newer versions of
> esound (it fails to connect to esound because it tries to use host="").
>
> Version 0.7.1 should fix this, available here:

esd is still broken on my system.  I wasn't using sound monitor before, but I
tried the new version just in case it could shed some light (I'm grasping now,
because I can't figure it out).  I've compiled everything from source.  The
next time I started up after installing the main gnome 1.0.4x stuff, esd
starts, and I hear the tones, but after that everything reports /dev/dsp as
busy, no matter what.  fuser states that esd has that device, and it's locked
bythe user who started esd.  I have no idea why it thinks the device is busy.
I even tried reverting back to older audiofile and esound, but it's still
broken.  I started looking at esd in a debugger, but I still can't see what's
wrong.  If any one has _any_ ideas of what could have broken this, I'm all
ears.

Dan