Problems compiling glib-- Xpm support not detected

Hello all, I hope you can help me. I've decided to take the dive and try out
gnome for my linux desktop. My system started out as a RedHat 5.1 release
but I just did the upgrade dance using "straight" linux 2.2.12 along with
the most recent gcc and associated libs.I downloaded the "most recent" gnome
tarball and

extracted in /usr/local/src/gnome-1.0.x
extracted individual packages in /usr/local/src/gnome-1.0.x/_package
configured  each package using --prefix=/usr

when i got to gnome-core, i received compile errors along the lines of
GetXpmFromBuffer not defined and so on... I seem to have traced it back to
gnome-libs not finding xpm support in -lXpm

Aha! I hadn't built my xpm support into the new system. I got the necessary
libs (3.4k) and compiled-installed with the --prefix=/usr. Still no good. So
I went ahead and made copies of the 4 libraries in all sorts of places...
/usr/X11R6/lib/, /usr/X11/lib, and about six other places. I updated my
ld.conf file and ldconfig'd my heart out. I installed xv and it works on
xpms. image-magic works on xpms, but I still can't get gnome-libs or
gnome-core to configure with the blahblahblah..Xpm=yes.

What simple little thing am I missing?

Len Littenberg