Pretty basic question

...or so I think at least. Probably a really stupid one to the rest of you. Anyway, I just set up gnome on Red Hat 6.0 but I keep having this problem of the screen showing up big as hell. The resolution must be less than 640x480 (like 1/8 of that!). I tried messing with the xf86config but no matter what I changed the setttings to, I got the same thing. I am trying to run it on a Dell XPS-T 600 with a Diamond Viper 770D graphics card using the TNT2 chip and a Dell P990 monitor (19"). The Dell monitor is a dupe of the Sony CPD-420GS if that helps at all. If anyone has a solution to this aggrevating situation, please reply and let me know. Thanks!

Jon