Re: error compiling gnome-libs 1.0.16, 1.0.40, 1.0.42

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Matt Garman wrote:

> Initially I was trying to compile with many compiler optimizations using
> pgcc (-O6 -march=pentiumpro -finline-functions -funroll-all-loops, etc).
> For some reason this caused the build to fail (using too many
> optimizations also causes XEmacs builds to fail, btw).
>
> I removed most of the optimizations and the build went okay.

Almost certainly better anyway; pgcc with -O6 most likely would generate
some amount of bad code and weird instability, and it really wouldn't make
things that much faster. In fact sometimes those optimizations slow things
down. -O2 is the "happy medium" (and the default in all automake/autoconf
setups).

Havoc