Novice enquiry

I have no experience of Linux or Gnome so please forgive the level atwhich
this enquiry is pitched

I am keen to know whether Linux can ptovide a solution on the Desktop which
would replace existing NT4 Workstations which are primarily used for Word
and spreadsheet processing and connectivity (in our case) using Client
Access to our AS400

The challenge, over and above getting Linux to run in a complete virgin
location, is to integrate it into being able to access Word97 and Excel97
documents on a NT 4 Server, as well as connecting to the AS400.

Where to begin?
Can anyone offer assistance/guidance ... a start point
Thanks

Perry Garrod