Re:installing applications under Gnome

hi,

> I've downloaded WordPerfect and AbiWord -- there's a copy of StarOffice on
> the applications disk that comes with RH6.0.
>

> I've managed to get all three applications working, but I can't find any
> Gnome documentation that tells me how to either put links on the desktop or
> on the foot menu. Well that's not quite true. I've managed to put the
> AbiWord icon on the foot menu -- but it doesn't link to the app. How does
> this work?

Yes this is a great question. You should be able to do it from the gmenu program as root. Or you can put it in your user menu if you run gmenu as user. Though of course I think most people like to put everything in the one main menu for all users to see.

This raises another issue, can someone write an official page on how to get autoconf to add a .desktop menu file for non-gnome apps?

Then you could email your favourite non-gnome app authors and point them to the page so that they can easily and quickly learn how to get their app to put an icon in the foot menu. It would be worth doing as we wait for all these projects to get fully gnomified.

ta,
wayne