Re: installing applications under Gnome

* Bill Bennett (billbennett@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> I've downloaded WordPerfect and AbiWord -- there's a copy of StarOffice on
> the applications disk that comes with RH6.0.
>
> I've managed to get all three applications working, but I can't find any
> Gnome documentation that tells me how to either put links on the desktop or
> on the foot menu. Well that's not quite true. I've managed to put the
> AbiWord icon on the foot menu -- but it doesn't link to the app. How does
> this work?
>

> Bill Bennett.
> Phone: 612 9484 3382.   Mobile: (6) 040 706 3987   Fax: 612 9980 9718.
> Email: billbennett@ozemail.com.au
> Web: www.ozemail.com.au/~billbennett

Unless you have a different help system to me...

Foot menu | Help System | Gnome User's Guide | Section II.8 - Editing
the Main Menu.

Covers it fairly well...

Here's an extract...

Adding a New Menu Item
----------------------

If you want to add a new menu item press the New Item button on the
toolbar. A new menu item will be placed where the highlighted menu is.
If you do not have a menu highlighted it will be placed at the top of
the menu tree. Select the new item and type in the information for the
item in the dialog on the right. Once the information is complete
press the Save button and the new menu item will be inserted where
your cursor is on the right side menu tree. You may then move the menu
item by pressing the up or down buttons on the toolbar. You may also
move the menu item by dragging it with your left mouse button.

      IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that you can not change the System menus
      unless you are logged in as root. If not, you can only add to,
      and edit, the User Menus.

Drag and Drop in the Main Menu
------------------------------

In the Menu Editor - The Menu Editor supports drag and drop
functionality which will make your work easier. You may drag
applications to the folders you wish them to reside in or re-arrange
you folders completely.

To the Panel - If you would like to place a menu item onto the Panel
you can drag and drop from the menu to the Panel and it will place a
launcher there with all the appropriate properties set for you. If you
prefer not to use drag and drop you may also right click on the menu
item and choose the Add this launcher to panel from the pop-up menu.

PS. If your launcher doesn't start your program, you may need to
include the full path to the executable.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |