Re: Dates and l10n

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 10:37:10PM +0200, Bjorn Andersson wrote:

> or yyyy-mm-dd? In gnumeric 0.44 when I insert "current date", I get
> '//' and 'mm/dd/' for finnish and swedish respecively. Is this a bug?

Yes; it is a bug introduced by the translator.
Look at gnumeric/po/fi.po :

#: src/formats.c:52
msgid "m/d/yy"
msgstr "k/p/vv"

#: src/formats.c:53
msgid "m/d/yyyy"
msgstr "k/p/vvvv"

#: src/formats.c:54
msgid "d-mmm-yy"
msgstr "p-kkk-vv"

etc.

Those must be instead:

#: src/formats.c:52
msgid "m/d/yy"
msgstr "m/d/yy"

#: src/formats.c:53
msgid "m/d/yyyy"
msgstr "m/d/yyyy"

#: src/formats.c:54
msgid "d-mmm-yy"
msgstr "d-mmm-yy"

etc.
if the format doesn't change; or maybe something like:

#: src/formats.c:52
msgid "m/d/yy"
msgstr "d.m.yy"

#: src/formats.c:53
msgid "m/d/yyyy"
msgstr "d.m.yyy"

#: src/formats.c:54
msgid "d-mmm-yy"
msgstr "yy-mmm-d"

depending on the way to represent the dates in Suomi; but the letter 'd',
'm', 'y' etc MUST NOT be changed; they have here a value of formatters.

Same for the sv.po file:

#: src/formats.c:53
msgid "m/d/yyyy"
msgstr "m/d/åååå"

etc.
the 'å' being an unknown formatter that is the reason why the date
has no year; "m/d/åååå" is, for the gnumeric, the same as "m/d/"

[Cc: to the various translators that have incorrect files]

[To Miguel: maybe you should put some comment in src/formats.c:52 so that it
 appears in the *.po files; telling how to correctly 'translate' the
 formatters. I can also do it myself if you want]

[Note to the translators: I can send you the *.po file to modify if you want]

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.ping.be/~pin19314/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975