Re: wanna build my own rpms

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Maher Awamy wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Greg Nagy wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > First question: should I? I have Mandrake 6.1. Are redhat rpms ok with this?
> > Mandrake is supposed to be 99% compatible with RH.
>
> Redhat RPMS worked for me on my Mandrake 6.0 box. It should work most of the
> time.

You'll find the Mandrake optimized rpms in the cooker
(http://www.linux-mandrake.com/cooker/)

Pick up a copy of Maximum RPM, from www.rpm.org

> > What are source rpms (.src.rpm)? Are they like .tar.gz only in rpm format,
> > or are they (more or less) preconfigured for building .rpm?
>
> Source RPMS are generated by the command rpm -ta file.tar.gz and can be built
> then e.g:
>
> rpm --build --traget=i586 src.rpm. name
>
> > Do I build the software first, and then pack it, or is it done for me by
> > rpm?

rpm does pretty much everything for you.

> If the software has a .spec file then all you have to do is
>
> rpm -tb file.tar.gz and it should output rpms in your rpm dir
>
> > What command line options should I concentrate on (when reading the docs,
> > cause I kinda got lost among these too...)? prefix dirs, optimizig?

None really, unless your writeing the .spec files from scratch. You'll
only need to understand -tb, -bb, and/or --rebuild

> --target optimizes for your cpu kind.

Only if the specfile was written proporly, lots of .spec just ignore the
RPM_OPT_FLAGS

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon