Re: i586 Gnome for RedHat 6.1?

"1stFlight !" wrote:

>     This brings my next question if I downloaded the source rpm's _how_
> would I rebuild them for 586 or 686  (whatever a AMD K6-2 is) use?   Thanks
>
> Darryl

I have never build a binary RPM from a source RPM before but I have
built source and binary RPM's from a source file and tar file.
Nevertheless, 'man rpm' reveals the following operations:

Building:
           rpm [-b|t] [package_spec]+
           rpm [--rebuild] [sourcerpm]+
           rpm [--tarbuild] [tarredsource]+

You also have to add the following options:

where <arch> is one of {i386, i486, i586, i686}, <vendor> is some string
(it could be empty), and <os> is {Linux, ...}

If you were using a Pentium, like me, you might execute the following:

rpm --rebuild --target i586--Linux [sourcerpm]+

where [sourcerpm]+ represents 1, or more, source rpm files.

Note: Since you have a K6, I am only confident that you may use "i386"
as your build architecture, as in the following:

rpm --rebuild --target i386--Linux [sourcerpm]+

Try building from one source RPM file. You'd think that I'd have real
experience doing this, since I have built source RPM and binary RPM's of
my own but directly from an RPM spec file and tar file. I never had to
validate the source RPM so I never built a binary from the source. I'm
just offering my knowledge of what you will likely have to do, given my
experience with building RPM's which I have done. Building a binary from
the source should be as easy as I've described. Hopefully my
instructions will be correct.

Please, if anyone thinks that I need correction, please do so.