Re: Locale problem and slugish performance

Simon Lemire <tekrebel@vl.videotron.ca> writes:

> Hello, I've recently switched from Mandrake to Slackware 7.0 and I have a
> few problems with GNOME:
>
> 1. Does anybody know how I can get rid of those "locale not supported by C
> library" everytime I start a GNOME program?

I think i just copied some stuff from RH6 into /usr/share/locale, but
I don't remember what.

> 2. This one is more tricky, I haven't been able to set-up my Sound Blaster
> 16 card to work properly with /dev/dsp yet, so I get tons of "/dev/dsp not
> found". I've checked Sawmill and GNOME, and sound is supposed to be
> disabled. How do I get rid of those messages?

Try disabling sound in in control center (Multimedia -> sound)

> 3. I switched from E to Sawmill but now it takes 15 to 20 seconds longer to
> start X and GNOME. Does anybody here had this problem? (Sorry if this
> question is not adressed to the right mailing list)

E (and twm) has a different paramter for the sm client id than sawmill.
Maybe try running sawmill from the command line like:

sawmill --sm-client-id default2

(and make sure you save your session)
There are some other ways you could do this, but this might be the
easiest.

Jacob
--
"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!" - R. Wiggum