Help getting gnome up on Caldera...

Hi,

I'm running Caldera OL version 2.3 with the 2.2.1 kernel. HP Pavillion
AMD K6-II with 32MB RAM.  SiS 5598 video set and HP M50 monitor.  I've
currently got the default KDE working fine, but was interested in trying
out Gnome.  I went to ftp.gnome.org and picked up the RPM files for
Caldera and installed them using the instructions given:

Placed them all in their own directory and ran 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm'.

Had a few errors in the processing:

1. group utmp does not exist, using root
2. gnome-print cannot be installed.  Execution of script failed.
3. /sbin/pidof No such file or directory

When I run 'exec gnome-session' from the command line, I get 2 errors
(twice):

1. Gdk - WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
2. Gtk - WARNING **: cannot open display

Then it spits out a line of session manager info and repeats the 2
errors above.

I've searched through the docs and several months of gnome-list archives
to no avail. Any suggestions?

Todd