Re: developer friendlyness

"Ben FrantzDale" <frantb@rpi.edu> writes:

| I've seen KDE folks touting that "KDE is developer-friendly!" particularly
| an item from http://www.kdeforum.org/news. I also know some people who have
| begun programing in QT/KDE after exploring the options because they find it
| an easier programming envirnment. I am not much of a programmer and have yet
| to look into writing for GTK/GNOME or QT/KDE, but I'd just like to put the
| issue out. The more Gnome software the better, so having gtk/gnome as a
| first envirnment for more budding young programers should be a goal.

I would say GTK+ and Gnome is more developer friendly as you can
virtually use whichever language you want. There are bindings to
languages as: Ada 95, C++, Eiffel, Guile, Haskell, JavaScript,
Objective C, Objective Caml, Objective Label, Pascal, Perl, Python,
TOM and possibly more (I know at least there are some LISP bindings in
progress/finished).

Gnome bindings for all these languages are not there yet, but as Gnome
development starts to settle a bit I'm sure they will be there.

I'm currently teaching myself Ada 95 (great language) and are very
excited that I can use the GTK+ widget kit.

KDE is written in C++ and looking at the web-pages I didn't find any
references to bindings to other languages. Though there probably are,
they are most likely very few as C is easier to bind than C++.

--
Preben Randhol                     "Marriage is when you get to keep
[randhol@pvv.org]                   your girl and don't have to give