Terms of endearment

Maybe I've missed it, but I'd like to know where in the documentation
(FAQ, the Gnome User's Guide, etc.) can I find the definitions for
certain terms which, as a recovering Windows user, I've never
encountered before: "docking," "swallowing," "paging," "wharfs" (I find
the nautical derivation of some of these rather curious)? I find them
referred to on the list (esp. paging and swallowing) and have never been
clued in. I 've seen them before in the lore of other window mgrs. as
well--AfterStep, WindowMaker, Enlightenment.  Maybe if you can't find
the defs in the doc either, just tell me?
Mark M. Wilson