Re: GNOME UI Summary [* - Nov 11, 1999]

The current GnomeDock (the widget that handles layout of toolbars) can
support this sort of thing.  It allows you to set a flag for each dock
item (ie. toolbar, menubar etc) to say whether it should be `exclusive' or
not.  Currently, the convenience functions in gnome-libs set this
exclusive flag on the toolbars it creates.  This is the only thing
preventing you from putting the toolbar on the same line as the menubar.

Maybe in gnome-libs-2 we should either not use the exclusive flag, or make
it an option in the control center.  If you want to see what it looks
like, the gnome-widgets.glade example in my libglade package doesn't set
the exclusive flag.  Just build libglade, and from the build directory,
run:
  ./test-libglade gnome-widgets.glade

Just make the window a bit wider and move the toolbar a bit.  The ability
to remove the text from toolbar buttons as a desktop wide setting should
also be available in gnome-libs-2, which would give the low profile setup
you want.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au