Re: Testing wanted for Gnome R

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 08:12:34PM -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Lyndon Drake wrote:
>
> > > 2. I think you might want to look into using a ZvtTerm widget instead of
> > > a GtkText for the console - you would get dingus support, a lot nicer
> > > display, and automatic handling of all the low-level details that you are
> > > probably having to do by hand now.
> >
> > Plus it would be faster, and probably less buggy, and multiline
> > pasting would be easier...  The main reason for using GtkText was in
> > the hope of adding syntax highlighting.  I wonder if I could do
> > something similar to the dingus highlighting, but for syntax
> > highlighting rather than just URL clicking.  If this is possible, I
> > will probably switch.
>
> Well, it can display multicolored text (since it is a terminal emulator),
> so you should be good to go.

To use terminal codes to do syntax highlighting is a little complicated.
I'd much rather just have a set of regex's, and let the widget pick up on
them.  zvt_term_match_add seems to be nearly what I want, but matches
can't be highlighted by colour.

Also, it's not clear how I can get user input without forking a child
process (which, due to the way R works, is a Bad Thing).

However, my interest in zvt has been revived, so I'm going to have a look
at it properly.

--
Lyndon Drake                       | Desktop:      http://www.gnome.org
isenguard                          | Mail client:  http://www.mutt.org