Re: GNOME Summary, Oct26-Nov9

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> Purify does a lot more, but there are much crappier tools on the
> market that are still really expensive. I won't name names. :-)

Yes, memprof looks a really useful addition to the toolbox.  Purify
does more, but sometimes it's so expensive (in memory and performance
terms) that you don't want to use it often enough.

memprof sounds like it ought to be cheap enough to use much more
often.  Indeed, now it's been thought of, it seems like such an
obvious idea: do other tools use conservative garbage collection
mechanisms for this purpose?