On a menu...

Because I prefer a menu to a drawer, I was trying to set up a 'Normal' menu
as compared to a 'Main Menu' (options you can select in the Menu
Properties) But I've no clue as to how I can get my 'normal menu' to have
links to programs in it.  I'm sure it's a rather simple awner, but it's
stumping me.  I made a directory called .menu for it, as I assumed that I
could just put symbolic links in that directory and they would show up
under the menu on my panel, but it didn't work.  How would I work this out?
 Is there a way to use 'gmenu'?

Any input would be appreciated,
Kyle