October GNOME Desktop

I apologize if this has been asked before...

I'm running Red Hat 6.1, October GNOME, Enlightenment 0.16, etc. on an
x86.

So I decide to upgrade to October GNOME. I unload my current GNOME
distribution, download the RPMs, install 'em, zap .gnome/ and friends,
and fire it up.

Everything works beautifully, except for one small thing.

The best I can explain it - my desktop functions seem a bit
non-functional. For example, I cannot click'n drag to select and move
desktop icons, and a right-click on the desktop does not pull up a GNOME
context menu. Nada. I would like to get that functionality back.

For what it's worth, I upgraded enlightenment at about the same time,
but I'm not sure that has much to do with it - this doesn't work when I
run Window Maker with GNOME either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Josh

"Government is not reason; It is not eloquence; It is force!
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
                                         --George Washington