Re: Window locations on login

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.991106122341.21239I-100000@quoll.daa.com.au>, James H
enstridge writes:

>The window manager is responsible for placing windows on session restart
>(it is the only program that has knowledge of exact positioning, which
>desktop the window is on, etc).  Enlightenment should be able to do this
>itself if it is started from the session manager.

>How do you start gnome?  Your .xinitrc or .Xclients file should contain
>the line:
>  exec gnome-session

>If you are explicitely starting enlightenment in the startup file, it may
>not manage window positioning correctly.

I can also attest to the fact that Enlightenment (0.15, 0.16 not tested) is
buggy in this regard.  I generally have 10 rxvts (though recently I've switched
to gnome-terminals) running, nine of them (80x24) on one desktop and another
(80x84) on another desktop.  Selecting Remember State->All Attributes almost
works, but when I restart GNOME, they are all shifted over and down at least 20
pixels.  When I shift all of them over and reselect Remember State->All
Attributes for each, something really hits the fan because restarting GNOME
causes all of them to be stacked on top of each other, some of them 80x84 and
others something odd like 20x20.  Enlightenment is like a Dodge Neon, pretty on
the outside but basically a lousy car and fvwm (my previous window manager
which I may switch back to now that it has GNOME support) is like some 60's car
where you can easily tweak things but may be a bit rusty on the outside.  I'm
not saying that a Neon is so bad as long as you don't plan on owning the thing
for many years...

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@linuxsavvy.com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts