Re: Re-acquiring the mouse

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, Rob Heiser wrote:

>   I have my Linux box sharing a monitor, keyboard and mouse
> with an NT box through an A/B switch box. If I have Gnome
> running and switch over to the NT box, then switch back to
> the Linux box, I lose mouse control. I don't lose keyboard
> control, because I can Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X. Is this
> a Gnome or X problem?

It's an X problem... what's happening is that your switch isn't
simulating the presence of a mouse and so it appears as though the mouse
has been disconnected when you switch.  X doesn't like devices
disappearing out from under it and doesn't try to open() the device
again after it has lost it.  I'd recommend either a) get separate mice
for the boxes or b) get a real kvm which will make it appear as though
the device is present even when switched away.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz		http://linuxpower.org
Personal: katzj@linuxpower.org

QOTD:
After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.