Re: Compiling for dummies

The specifics about the configure, make, and make install steps are usually located in
the source package that you download.  Usually you'll download a file that ends in
.tar.gz.  After expanding that file (using tar -zxvf package-name) you'll end up with
a folder.  Inside that folder will be all sorts of files/folders, but the important
ones that most people put in there are the README and INSTALL files.  Sometimes there
will only be a README file that tells you everything you need to know.  Other times
the README file just tells what the program is for, why the author decided to write
it, change history, etc. and will point you to the INSTALL file to tell you how to
install the program on your system.  Usually reading both of these will take care of
everything you need to do for a typical compile/install.

The typical steps are:
Unpack the tarball (tar -zxvf package_name.tar.gz)
Change directories into the newly created folder (cd package_name/)
Read the README & INSTALL files (more README) (more INSTALL)
Configure the Makefile (./configure)
Compile the source (make)
Change to root and install binaries (su root) (make install)
               or if you have sudo installed (sudo make install)

Then you should be off and running!