DPMS problems in gdm

Hey:

I'm running the bundled GNOME on RH6.1 - very nice, too.

However, I'm hitting a problem with gdm. I want it to power down the
monitor after it's been unattended for a little while.

So, i tried editing /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default to include the line:

    xset dpms 60 90 120

which works for a little while, until gdm powers the screen back up [but
leaves it blank].

So, I tried

    while sleep 20
    do
        xset dpms force off
    done &

as a brute force method, but that doesn't seem to work at all [until I
actually log in - not fun].

I expect this is a "feature" of gdm - blanking the screen without
attempting to use DPMS - but it's getting in the way of what I want to
do, and I can't work out what, if any, line in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
I can alter to make it stop.

Any ideas? I'd rather not go to the trouble of installing October GNOME,
as I've always found that problematic whether using RPMs or source
tarballs, and anyway I like all the magicdev stuff that Red Hat have
added.

Thanks for any help y'all might have.

 -[z].

--
[=-                     Zero Piraeus
[=-     evolving faster than the common cold