Compiling for dummies

Warning: this is more general than specific to Gnome hacking:
As an ex-Windows user (well, that's not quite true, I'm still forced to
use it at work until I can get my own machine) and *especially* as a non
programmer, I'm new to a lot of this Gnome and Linux stuff.  My question
is this: is there an any advantage to my trying to compile apps myself
from these tarballs?  Why would someone (again, a non programmer) do
this unless they were going to customize certain attributes? (are there
some apps that are only available as source tarballs, thus forcing a
newbie to take that dive?) And can anyone suggest simple apps to start
with that would be instructive in learning the various languages? In
other words, are there any earthworms, frogs, or fetal pigs to dissect
before I try my hand at brain surgery?
Are these even worthy or correct questions to ask? I want to begin to
contribute in some way.  Perhaps I could offer my services in
proofreading documentation? [Judging from some of the messages I see
posted to the list, there is a need ;-)  I won't name names.]

--Mark