Compiling gnome-core 1.10 and gdk-pixbuf problems (different!)

ok, I downloaded gnome-core 1.10 and gdk-pixbuf 0.3 on a fresh RH 6.1
installation and untarred them. I ran configure, make, and make install on
gdk-pixbuf and it seemed to compile ok. Then I tried to do configure on
gnome-core but it came back with

Unknown library 'gdk-pixbuf'
Unknown library 'gdk-pixbuf'
configure: error: GdkPixbuf library required for panel

Someone suggested to add /usr/local/lib/gdk-pixbuf/loader to /etc/ld.so.conf
and run ldconfig, I did, but it still didn't work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gerry Chu
gerrychu@bigfoot.com