Can't compile audiofile

Hi,

I have a generic linux 2.0.36 with libc 5.4.46 system. I have downloaded the
october sources. When I run make on audiofile-0.1.9, I get the following
message:

linuxtest.c: In function `setupdsp':
linuxtest.c:103: `AFMT_S16_NE' undeclared (first use in this function)
linuxtest.c:103: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
linuxtest.c:103: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [linuxtest.o] Error 1

I have no sound card in my machine, so do I need to compile this file and
the esound-0.2.15.tar.gz file?

Also, can I get the compiled versions for generic linux with libc from
somewhere. It is really a pain to compile the many files needed to get gnome
to work. I don't know about the binary versions from gnome site, but I do
know that the one for redhat will not work because they are glibc 2 based.

Thanks,
Khurram.