Re: GNOME and PPP - suggestions for way forward

Well, I also run Redhat. Mine's v5.2 partially upgraded to 6.0 (only the
bits I use). I have to shamelessly admit that the redhat control-panel
networking tool setup my ppp connection scripts for me.
It doesn't create a pppon or off script, so I made these myself, the pppon
script just calls "ifup ppp0". That's all you need, although my version
also kicks off fetchmail, plays a tune etc etc.
The pppoff script just kills pppd.
It's nothing highly technical, but it means if I'm just checking mail I
can type pppon in the shell and not load x, gnome, gnome-ppp blah, blah
blah.
You can tell the modem-lights applet which scripts to use, so you could
set it up any way you liked. This is my favorite aspect of it.
Also, it watches the modem, so it can tell if something else initiated the
link, and report stats on it as well.

I like this simple, obvious approach. Its easy, powerful and bug-free.
Just the thing I need. Apps like gnome-ppp are great for ease of use,
especially for non-techies, but for me personally are a trip back into
Windows Hand-Holding land (tm). You're walked through the process, but are
held back from straying off the path with your own tweaks and changes. Not
my cup of tea!

Besides, the main point for me is not to configure two connections to the
same provides using two different programs. If i choose one, it'll be the
more powerful and configurable tool everytime, even if the interface to it
is simple and direct.

Tom Gilbert.

->Ha, I knew someone would remind me of this question
->I am gnew to gnome and am only using it as it was default on RedHat 6.0
->Now I am continuing to use it ( over xfce and other lean/fast desktops) cos it
->has so many nifty features
->that I consider well worth the overhead!!
->:-)
->But this modem lights applet, great i thought cos I want a fast way to connect.
->It calls
->pppon and pppoff which I presume one has to write onesself?
->In fact generally I find no pppconection facility in gnome (at least this version
->which comes with Hedwig)
->like there is with kde (kppp)
->So what should one do?
->And are there any tips on writing these pppon/off scripts?
->Thanks
->Phil
->
->Tom Gilbert wrote:
->
->> Wooahh!
->>
->> Let's not get too carried away here. The way this thread is going, the
->> Modem lights applet is going to get axed! See attached mail at bottom.
->>
->> I love this applet. When I first came across it I was happy to have
->> finally found a ppp-dialer which was what I wanted. Its tiny, minimalist,
->> click-on, clock-off, yet shows the important basic stats - specifically
->> whether I am sending or recieving, and how much...
->>
->> The best thing about it is that it will run my own pppon and pppoff
->> scripts. These scripts can also be called via a command line and have the
->> power to control an Internet connection server as well as a dialup desktop
->> machine. I use these scripts as they are extremely flexible and powerful.
->>
->> I appreciate the ease of use that apps such as Gnome-PPP bring to
->> connecting, but I refuse to maintain 2 sets of dialup scripts, especially
->> when the "easy to use" one lacks a lot of flexibility.
->>
->> Now, if the PPP-dialer applet had the facility/option to run a
->> shell-script or two, instead of using its built-in configurations, and to
->> run in the panel with a tiny footprint and show basic stats.... Then you'd
->> be talking.
->>
->> Cheers guys,
->>