Re: File manager tree.

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero wrote:

> >   Is there any objections to me removing the [+] feature from the
> >file manager?
>
> What about adding a [?] for slow dirs? If GMC knows that the scan will be
> slow (non-local, floppies), it puts [?] until user requests to see the dir.
> After then, the data is in a cache, so it can have [+]/[-] if the dir has
> subdirs. Windows places [+] when unknow, better [?], no? GMC keeps the signs
> when avaliable, still works with slow fs (via "?" -> "+" | " ") and the GUI
> gives good feedback (it does not lie, it says "i do not know"), 100% nice IMHO.

OK, that's a good idea, and in the absence of anything better, I vote for
this.

> If this is too much, make it configurable.

Make it configurable anyway. Let's have three options:

- Always check all directories for subdirectories (maybe slow)
  ** This always uses [+]|[-]
- Only check on local (fast) filesystems, [?] otherwise
  ** This is obvious
- Do not check at all
  ** Prolly perfect for those fully-networked users?

Basically guys, whenever a desision like this needs making, rather than
taking a vote and displeasing some, let's just have an options in the
prefs.

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/