From: Jason Stokes [mailto:jstok@bluedog.apana.org.au]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 1999 3:27 PM
To: Michael ROGERS
Subject: Re: Pipes

>  Perhaps the command-line pipe is too limiting a concept - what I'm
talking
> about is a way for the user to specify different types of connections
> between components, to assemble an application. The idea of plugging
together
> a word processor, a spelling checker and a printer applet via CORBA is
> fantastic, but we need an intuitive way to specify these connections.
Maybe
> this comes down to individual solutions for each application, but some
kind
> of standard "visual syntax" for grouping components would be useful. The
> smarter Gnome is at identifying what components do and what types of data
> they can handle, the more intuitive this can be.

In that case, I would propose some kind of "component assembler" widget,
that would allow you to drag and drop components in and out of your
application framework.  For example, you'd have a diagram of your
application's components, with a plug for "spellchecker", and you'd be able
to place there any properly registered spellchecker you had on your system.

--
Jason Stokes: jstok@bluedog.apana.org.au

--
        FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq